How we operate
MSBi Valorisation is informed of new technologies originating at its partner institutions through invention reports or due diligence reports.
MSBiV evaluates these opportunities based on the technology, its applications, markets, etc. In particular, MSBiV will seek to ensure:
- Inventors are motivated and prepared for the long path to commercialization.
- Funds can be raised and meaningful milestones achieved on the way toward commercialization.
To determine projects worth investing in, MSBiV needs the following information:
- Overview of the applications of the technology
- Assessment of the competitive landscape
- Assessment of the added value of the technology
- Assessment of the total addressable market
- Analysis of the intellectual property
- Development plan aimed at increasing the value of the technology and preparing it for market entry
- Assessment of applicable risk factors (regulatory approval, barriers to market entry)
- Identification of expertise required to develop technologies
- Identification of commercial milestones
- Feedback obtained from the market
We are aware that it may be difficult to gather all of this information. MSBiV can support the liaison between the research team, industry representatives and institutions to help build your case. This can include connecting with the market, helping to obtain grants to reach preliminary milestones, and performing other tasks required to build an investment case. After all relevant information is gathered, based on this MSBiV will then decide whether to proceed.
MSBiV can invest up to $175,000 in a project, subject to the decision of its Investment Committee made up of seasoned professionals from the private sector who meet when required. MSBiV is looking to leverage every dollar invested to the maximum extent. A project is submitted to MSBiV’s Investment Committee once it has been presented to MSBiV’s team and has received its strong support. The team meets once a week to review opportunities.
Under a Memorandum of Understanding signed between MSBiV and its partner institutions, investments from MSBiV are subject to reimbursement, depending on the commercialization vehicle chosen. These repayment terms aim to ensure MSBiV’s financial sustainability.
- Spin-offs. A spin-off will issue a convertible debenture to MSBiV. Such debenture shall bear interest and be subject to a discount if it is converted to shares in a company established to commercialize the technology.
- Licensing to an existing company. The institutions will reimburse MSBiV an amount proportional to MSBiV’s investment, based on license fees received by the institutions. This reimbursement also takes into account earlier costs incurred by the institutions to protect intellectual property.
Each investment from MSBiV is subject to a specific agreement between MSBiV, the partner institution and the inventors.